Friday, January 16, 2009

My Quiet Time Today

Was in Genesis 2:18-23...
"The Lord God said, "it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field.
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman for she was taken out of man."


Lord, I think it's interesting how you could have just said "I will make a helper". But instead, you were very specific in wanting to find a helper suitable for him. Lord I love that you cared for him so much to want to find just the perfect helper for him. And then the quest that must have ensued! Each and every bird of the air and beast of the field you brought to Adam for his approval? Although I notice you didn't say "I will find a helper, you said "I will make"...so I suppose you already knew that none of these would compare to the creation you and Adam had in mind. I also love how you made everything from the ground...not just Adam, but also all the beasts and birds...except Eve, she was different!

I wonder how long it must have taken to show him all your animals. I wonder how lonely he was, and how his heart must have sank a little deeper as he got closer and closer to the end of the line, as he saw his options dwindle and none were right. I wonder just how deep his loneliness was as you had him drift off to sleep. I wonder how proud you were to make this "secret present" for him while he slept, and how excited you were to bring her to him! And I love how instantly Adam recognizes her, not only as "the one" but as part of himself, made from him and for him. How much you must have loved him to go to so much trouble and care.

I wonder Lord...you loved him so much, do you also love me?

1 comment:

Matt Gorman said...

This is a great post! It is so interesting as I was just reading about this in Wild at Heart. I was loving the progression of God's creation. At each step God was adding to His majestic creation by bringing something more amazing and adding to the beauty that already existed. from the creation of the heavens and the earth, where it is shown as being darkness He adds the beauty of the light and says that it was good. A beautiful addition to His creation.He continues to create this masterpiece by enhancing each step of creation. Adam was a crowning moment for God as it brought companionship for God. He could have stopped right there and been satisfied, but He had one more creative beautiful step to add to His creation... Eve, woman! The beauty of God's creation was capped off with His most intimate and creative masterpiece... Woman. You know God must love you since He saved the most amazing part of His creation for last. YOU ARE LOVED!!!