Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today I'm reading in Genesis 24...I won't write out the entire passage, but the gist is that Abraham's servant is sent out to find a wife for his son Isaac. The servant prays specifically for God to point out the right woman, and "before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder" (24:15). He asked her for a drink, and she quickly obliged, going even a measure more to give water to his camels. This was the exact sign that he had asked for moments ago, and knew he found his woman.

As I read this story, I have to admire Rebekah. She was blessed simply by doing the ordinary...the routine...by just being her everyday self. She was an answered prayer...in a way she realized because she met his need for water, but also in ways she didn't realize because she had no idea her very presence was tangible evidence of God's provision to him! What an honor to be such a clear, specific prayer to someone...she really must have been special! I wonder how many times she had gone down to that well before, lifting heavy jars of water and walking all the way back up, day after day. How tired she must have been. I wonder if she sighed as she picked up her jar and started heading to the well. But she embodies Proverbs 31:17, "she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks". She was strong, beautiful, and pure...an excellent reflection of the Lord she served.

Furthermore, when she was approached by a strange man asking for a favor as it was getting dark, she quickly jumped at the chance to serve...Prov 31:20 "she opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy". What happens if a strange man approaches me on the side of the road at night when I am alone? Well I am far from open, I'll tell you that much! But she gave him what she had and was open and vulnerable to him, and as a result was rewarded. She even went a measure more to water his camels...and you know camels don't drink a little water! She seriously got her workout that day.

But she was just being herself. She was a specific, answered prayer in more ways than one, and because she allowed herself to live in that place she was greatly rewarded.

Lord help me to live more like Rebekah...help me to carry out my ordinary, routine days with the grace, beauty, and servant heart that she did. Not so I may be rewarded, but so I may be available to become someone's specific answered prayer today.

1 comment:

Matt Gorman said...

Wow Crys! I truly enjoy reading your blog and hearing what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you through your quiet time. You are an inspiration to me for my quiet time - thank you!

So I remember when Jentezen Frnklin was at Fellowship and did the message "And Then Some". It was a huge impact on me and my vision to serve beyond myself.

I actually like your picture that you paint of the every day Rebekah. I would hope that my every day tasks and life would be "And then Some". As I do life I desire to live beyond what is required and strive for serving in a way that far exceeds the minimal. But, I want to do that without having to remind myself to do it, rather I just want it to be natural. As if I know no other way.

Great post... In fact I know someone like that!