Monday, February 13, 2006

Happy Single Awareness Day

Yes, that's right, Single Awareness Day. Otherwise known to the rest of the world as Valentine's Day. Valentine's can be great when you have a boyfriend or girlfriend to share it with. But what about the singles of the world? What about the independent, content with their current boyfriend-less lifestyle, future cat ladies of the world? Don't worry, I'm not going to go off on one of those feminist "I hate men" rants because that's just silly. But really...everyone focuses on the fabulousness of Valentines Day for those lucky enough to be coupled up. But does that mean, by default, that everyone without romantic plans has to be depressed with their pathetically unfulfilled single life?

I say that's ridiculous. I say if you want to throw yourself a pity party, the other 364 days of the year are just as good. Just because this one happens to be called Feb 14th doesn't make it any more pity-party friendly. I say count your blessings. Think of all the money you're saving by not buying somebody a gift that will either wilt in three days or add 5 pounds to your hips that have been sticking to your new year's resolution for a month and a half. Think about how you don't have to share the bathroom with anyone. What about how when you put dishes in the dishwasher or laundry in the hamper, they magically stay there! Or how when there's dirty underwear on the floor, you know for sure it's definately yours. Or how you can take a 2 hour bath if you wanted to and no one will judge you for it. Or how there's no one on the other side of the bed who sets their alarm 30 minutes before yours so you always end up waking up earlier than you wanted to anyways.

I'm not saying it's not fabulous to be in a relationship. I'm just saying that just because you're not in one doesn't mean your life is incomplete. I already know that I am loved deeply and taken care of and thought of as beautiful...that comes straight from God. I don't need another person to tell me that. Would it be nice to have a guy say that to me? Sure! But he doesn't have to for me to know that it's true. Because what if one day he changed his mind...because people do that since we aren't perfect...where would I be then if all my happiness and security lay with him? But if I know the truth...then when a guy comes along that happens to believe that same truth too, well that's just icing on the cake. Until then, I'm not focusing on how I'm "missing my other half" or how I can't be happy or complete until I'm in love. I'm a complete person because of God, not someone else's opinion, and until he brings me that very lucky guy :)...I'm thinking about all the awesome blessings I've already got and don't even deserve....and not focusing on the one single thing I don't have! (get it...single...) So future cat ladies...or cat gentlemen...of the world, rejoice! Life is awesome, don't miss it while you're too busy trying to find it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm a complete person because of God, not someone else's opinion, and until he brings me that very lucky guy :)..." Crys, it will be a very lucky guy. You are awesome, beautiful and so much fun. i love you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree.

- Bobby

Anonymous said...

I love this post!! Single women of the world unite!! :) Thanks for the extra 5 pounds on my hips too! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Vday is a day to celebrate all the aspects of love that is not only shared between a romantic relationship but also the love that binds a family together, that motivates a friendship, and above all; the Love that rains down from above.

-chad-