Monday, January 29, 2007

Standing Strong

About this time last year I started watching a little-known tv show on Tuesday nights, you've probably never heard of it. I never watched any of the other seasons because I was, and still am, morally opposed to such frivolity.
But last season, I thought it would be entertaining to watch the auditions. It was. After the auditions were over, I had little interest in watching the rest, but alas, my entertainment-savvy best friends were totally into it, so I took part in the weekly watching parties so I could heckle to my heart's content.
Unfortunately, the blood-sucking corporate machine masquerading under the title of "American Idol" succeeded in sucking in yet another Ryan-Seacrest-tolerating drone...me...and thus the addiction began.
Yes, I watched every week. Yes, I yelled at the tv, and often the voting public of America. Yes, I voted for Taylor and yes...I went to the concert. And you know what, I loved it. And I hate that.

But this year...I'm standing strong against American Idol. I refuse to fall victim to it's commercial fabrications and sacrifice not one, but TWO nights a week to it's broadcast just because I am addicted to the manufactured emotion and scripted drama of only semi-talented musicians and one drunk Paula Abdul. I won't do it. It won't suck me in. I don't care how much tension Ryan Seacrest can prolong over two solid hours. I'm standing strong.*

*What is not noted here is my undying addiction to 24, which does indeed occupy exactly one hour a week of my precious time, and to which no amount of non-violent, let-the-terrorists-live kind of rehab could change.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to say "Ditto" for me, except change all American Idols to 24 and all Ryan Seacrest's to Jack Bauer.

Soul Patrol! Woo woo!

C-Mac said...

How dare you compare Ryan Seacrest to Jack Bauer. Jack would destroy Ryan.

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't take Jack more than 5 seconds to take out Ryan Seacrest. Watch your words Wiley.

Anonymous said...

I am not comparing Ryan to Jack. Although I do not support the insanity that is Jack Bauer, I do respect him enough to know that he can definitely kick some Seacrest bootay! Even though Jack Bauer is a FICTIONAL character and Ryan Seacrest is a real person.